CityWare is an interactive, integrated, model-based
information and decision support system for the urban environment.
It combines elements of
as well as a range of embedded utilities and tools.
Designed for major cities, metropolitan areas and urban conglomerates,
the flexibility of the modular software components
makes it easy to adapt and apply the system to a broad range of
physiographic and meteorological, socio-economic,
and environmental conditions.
CityWare and its components are currently tested in a number of
projects world wide, including the cities of: Vienna, Geneva, Basel, Berlin,
Athens, Milano, Randstad, Izmir, Gdansk, Buenos Aires, Mexico, Alexandria,
Guilin, Limassol, Seoul, Tehran, Sisak, Dubai, .....
CityWare receives important input from the Telematics applications
project ECOSIM, and the EUREKA projects
E!1388 AIDAIR and E!3266 WEBAIR,
the INCO-DC project GAIA,
and the Esprit project SIMTRAP.
The latest research and development projects with an urban focus are
- WEBAIR developing web based solution for urban air quality
assessment and management;
- SUTRA: Sustainable Urban Transportation
for the City of Tomorrow
- RiskWare/NIR: assessment of non-ionizing radiation
Towards an Environmentally Viable Electronic City.
CityWare is designed to provide easy access to advanced tools of data
analysis and the design and evaluation of environmental policies as well
as for continuous, real-time monitoring and control for operation management tasks,
These components are integrated with an interactive and graphical user interface
designed for users with little or no computer experience.
- A real-time hybrid expert system for continuous assessment and control,
coordinating all component elements from monitoring to forecasting, reporting,
and decision support;
- Time-series analysis for environmental monitoring for continuous
real-time data acquisition from multiple sensors including imagery;
- A suite of simulation and optimization models including regular and
event driven forecasts of key environmental parameters and indicators
augmenting the monitoring data and feeding into the automatic control
and decision support tools;
- together with integrated data base management using a distributed,
city data base for comparative analysis and
- An embedded geographical information system,
- Expert systems functionality for impact assessment and any
estimation and classification tasks, and
- Intranet/Internet support for easy access and public information
of multi-media formats and presentations.
- eLearning tools for an urban ecology course.