Urban Ecology (Stadtökologie, LV-Nr. 825073, SE, WS 2011/12)
INTRODUCTION: the rules of the game
WELCOME (and yes, this is all in English).
This is the plan:
Ja, mach nur einen Plan ... (Bertold Brecht, Dreigroschenoper)
- We start with a first two-day block October 24/25 that introduces the "procedere"
and the topic in a series of up to 12 lecture units, depending on discussion,
for 12-16 hours (bring an apple ....).
Lecture notes for these are also available as on-line PPT presentations
or for optional download.
- This first encounter is followed by a more leisurely period of
"eLearning" style on-line seminar: using the seminar home page
(http://www.ess.co.at/URBANECOLOGY) as a virtual classroom, together with
a participants mailing list, a web-based discussion forum,
and a (slowly growing) set of on-line fully interactive lectures, on-line
multiple choice test(s);
Any number of questions and specific topics will be raised in the initial
"classroom" lecture and discussion block, a few suggestions and background material
can also be found on-line(try: Assignments,
Topics): now it is up to YOU:
PICK A TOPIC (or two !) and start a discussion on the web based discussion forum !
(advantage: any time, at your own pace, with or without babel fish ...)
- Scoring: this is how your score: by ACTIVE PARTICIPATION.
The beauty of the eLearning model is that the computer remembers you (once properly registered)
whenever you do something, like post to the forum, take a test, follow an on-line lecture,
send an email (to the mailing list or just to me), submit a "term paper"
contribute to the on-line Glossary, write a paper review, find/submit an
interesting article (with comments) to share, etc.
The central piece of your input is a short "term paper" of a few pages
beyond cut and paste, that discusses one of the topics or questions, preferably
summarizing the discussion in the forum.
- Whenever you do something conceivably useful, you get Brownie Points
that are used for a (competitive ...) "performance ranking" (on-line) that serves
primarily for your information, so you get an idea how you are doing
in the "virtual class".
- AGAIN: the idea is ACTIVE PARTICIPATION, discourse, discussion - it is a SEMINAR,
albeit in a somewhat unusual format.
- Depending on on-line activities and progress, we may plan for a second block
in January (February?) for the presentation and discussion of term papers
if you feel "electronically challenged" ? All of which we will discuss on-line !
THINGS TO DO: (for a start)
- Register (link "Student Registration" on the home page)
PLEASE select a user name WITHOUT spaces and special characters
("." and "_" are ok ...),
suggested style: FirstnameLastname
IMPORTANT: something that allows unambiguous identification, please !
Also: please use your *@UIBK.AC.AT university mail address (consistently).
- Register at the web forum (as above, please use the SAME user name
so we can cross-reference activities)
REPEAT: smart move to use the same user name and password, and your university (uibk.ac.at) mail address
always, else the computer will not know WHOM to talk to ?
- Introduce yourself (why are you here ?) - for an entree: ask a(n intelligent) question you
expect to be addressed, even answered, in the seminar.
- Download the Questionnaire, fill it quickly (looking for first reactions ...), submit ;
- Take the introductory multiple choice test (as a benchmark, not "graded" !)
- Browse the homepage links ! Suggestions ?
- Pick a topic, assignment, (stake your claim, own a topic) let us know what you think, post, discuss !
- Keep asking questions (good questions will trigger some response !) or state your thesis, discuss !
- Earn Brownie points, go to the top of the class.
- GET INVOLVED, provide feedback; have fun (and hopefully also learn something).