Spatial Planning (Raumordnung/Raumplanung, LV-Nr. 825075, SE, SS 2012)
INTRODUCTION: the rules of the game
WELCOME (and yes, this is all in English).
This is the plan:
Ja, mach nur einen Plan ... (Bertold Brecht, Dreigroschenoper)
- We start with a first two-day block March 19/20 that describes the "procedere"
and the topic in a series of a few introductory lecture units, depending on discussion,
for 12-16 hours (bring an apple ....).
Background material for this is on-line here.
- This first encounter is followed by a more leisurely period of
"eLearning" style on-line seminar: using the seminar home page
(http://www.ess.co.at/SPATIALPLANNING) as a virtual classroom, together with
a participants mailing list, a web-based discussion forum,
and a (continuously growing) set of on-line fully interactive lectures, on-line
multiple choice test(s);
A central element is the use of an on-line dynamic land use change model, that will serve
as a common language for the discussion of concepts and methods.
Any number of questions and specific topics will be raised in the initial
"classroom" lecture and discussion block, a few suggestions and background material
can also be found on-line(try: Assignments,
Topics): now it is up to YOU:
PICK A TOPIC (or two !) and start a discussion on the web based discussion forum !
(advantage: any time, at your own pace, with or without babel fish ...)
- Scoring: this is how your score: by ACTIVE PARTICIPATION.
The beauty of the eLearning model is that the computer remembers you (once properly registered)
whenever you do something, like post to the forum, take a test, follow an on-line lecture,
send an email (to the mailing list or just to me), submit a "term paper"
contribute to the on-line Glossary, write a paper review, find/submit an
interesting article (with comments) to share, etc.
The central piece of your input is a short "term paper" of a few pages
beyond cut and paste, that discusses one of the topics or questions, preferably
summarizing the discussion in the forum.
- Whenever you do something conceivably useful and demonstrating interest and active participation,
you get Brownie Points that are used for a (competitive ...) "performance ranking"
(on-line) that serves primarily for your information, so you get an idea
how you are doing in the "virtual class".
- AGAIN: the idea is ACTIVE PARTICIPATION, discourse, discussion - it is a SEMINAR,
albeit in a somewhat unusual format.
- Depending on on-line activities and progress, we may plan for a second block
in May/June? for the presentation and discussion of term papers
if you feel "electronically challenged" ? All of which we will discuss on-line !
THINGS TO DO: (for a start)
- Register (link "Student Registration" on the home page)
PLEASE select a user name WITHOUT spaces and special characters
("." and "_" are ok ...),
suggested style: FirstnameLastname
IMPORTANT: something that allows unambiguous identification, please !
Also: please use your *@UIBK.AC.AT university mail address (consistently).
- Register at the web forum (as above, please use the SAME user name
so we can cross-reference activities)
REPEAT: smart move to use the same user name and password, and your university (uibk.ac.at) mail address
always, else the computer will not know WHOM to talk to ?
- Introduce yourself (why are you here ?) - for an entree: ask a(n intelligent) question you
expect to be addressed, even answered, in the seminar.
- Download the two questionnaires:
- Q1: fill it quickly (looking for first reactions ...), submit ;
- Q2: fill it carefully, take your time, think about your questions and suggestions !
- Take the introductory multiple choice test (as a benchmark, not "graded" !)
- Browse the homepage links ! Suggestions ? Something you would like to see improved, added ?
- Go through the on-line lecture units (consider each as a short introduction
to an hour or two of seminar participation).
- Pick a topic from the lecture units, an assignment, (stake your claim, own a topic)
let us know what you think, post, discuss !
- Explore the on-line land use change model.
- Keep asking questions (good questions will trigger some response !) or state your (hypo)thesis, discuss !
- Earn Brownie points, go to the top of the class.
- GET INVOLVED, provide feedback; have fun (and hopefully also learn something).