Optimisation for Sustainable
Water Resources Management
OPTIMA: optimisation strategy
The optimisation of the WRM water resources model scenarios is a central
component in OPTIMA.
The start point is defined by
- the set of ISSUES identified by/with/from the stakeholders
- its implementation in the baseline scenario of WRM.
The baseline scenario is extended to include a very basic
of costs and benefits of water supply and demands met.
The baseline scenario should be presented to, and discussed with, the stakeholders
for each case study to incorporate their comments and suggestions as an important
step towards acceptance of the eventual results.
The baseline scenario is now extended for optimisation by
For both CONSTRAINTS and INSTRUMENTS a simple questionnaire has been prepared
to compile the data in a structured, consistent format:
- defining the OBJECTIVES in terms of a set of CONSTRAINTS to be met;
(defined a hyper-region in model performance space).
- defining the possible measures, strategies, policies in terms of INSTRUMENTS;
(defined a hyper-region in decision space).
For INSTRUMENTS, there is an on-line
Water Technologies Data Base
that includes both generic and location specific instruments from which initial and default
values can be extracted when editing an optimization scenario:
- Select a baselines scenario including economic assessment
- Define/edit a corresponding optimisation scenario in terms of CONSTRAINTS and INSTRUMENTS
Please note that in the first level implementation, we only support NODE SPECIFIC INSTRUMENTS
for DEMAND NODES.
Use the questionnaires to compile and structure the information, refer to the manual page on
Optimisation Scenarios for implementation details.
- Identify a set of feasible alternatives by running the optimization model, iteratively
relaxing and tightening the CONSTRAINTS
- Eliminate dominated alternatives (from larger sets) to identify a Pareto optimal set
- Use the DISCRETE MULTI-CRITERIA TOOL to (interactively,
possibly as a group exercise involving the stakeholders or proxies)
identify and select an efficient (optimal) multi-criteria solution
Optimisation Related Manual Pages:
- D03.1 Water Resources Modeling Tools
- D03.2 Basic Optimization Model
- D03.3 Discrete Multi-Criteria Optimization