RiverBasinObject: Monitoring Station
Monitoring Stations describe the physical monitoring equipment,
its location, and lead to the actual
monitoring time series.
A Monitoring Station Object is defined by its
HEADER including a hypertext page describing it, and the list selector
for all the time series collected there.
Other attributes are grouped into topics that
are shown in pop-up windows triggered by (optional) BUTTONS. They include:
- Links to other objects
- Administrative information
- Technical information
Time series (parameter) selection
Under the Object HEADER, the page displays a selector of available
time series, organized in terms of their parameters.
The selector (full page width) shows:
The MONITORING TIME SERIES themselves consist of a HEADER, and the actual
time-stamped values. TIME SERIES META DATA compiled during the import
- Parameter name
- Last measurement (end date)
- First measurement (start date)
- Time step (symbolic, i.e., a STRING that can also indicate irregular sampling or bi-monthly);
- Number of observations
- Coverage in % (100-% of missing values).
- USER: (determined automatically)
- NAME: a descriptive (short) name for the time series that will be used in the selector list;
- TYPE: one of historical or real-time.
- DESCRIPTION: a free text field that defines, e.g., data source (such as the original
monitoring station/sensor), method for patching, assumptions (for synthetic time series);
- LOCATION: defines the geographical scope (on import, this selected by the user
from a list of pre-defined options, or generated automatically from the application's
CONFIGURATION information if the data base covers a single location);
- VARIABLE: (or parameter selected from a pre-defined list) with its associated UNIT;
- START DATE: will be determined automatically from the time stamps of the imported data.
- TIME STEP: symbolic label for the time stamp (e.g., hourly, daily, monthly, irregular);
internally, we can derive the time tep in minutes from the delta between the obervations;
- GENERATED: date of original imnport;
- LAST MODIFIED: date of last update, mainly for real-time data;
Other descriptive information is organized in two linked pages:
- Administrative information, describing the owner or operator,
contact addresses etc.
- Technical information, describing the actual monitoring equipment used,
- Address block for the institution and a contact person with an optional
second (local, on site) address, derived from the INSTITUTIONS data base,
relational contact/address data base TABLE.
For monitoring stations that include FLOW MEASUREMENTS
and depending on the method used, there may be a link to a
which is similar to the reservoir depth, area, volume curve and could share
the generalised or cloned editor and display tool:
the rating curve relates
||List of sensors/methods used for the parameters monitored;
for each sensor, the following information can be stored
and displayed in a separate pop-up window:
- Sensor name
- Hypertext link (URL) for descriptive text and optional imagery.
- Model name
- Sensor technology
- Year of installation
- Date of last maintenance/calibration
The rating curve can have an optional link to a cross-section object
(see also: REACHES).
- Depth (as measured with the usual staff gage)
- Flow (in m³/s), and optionally
- Speed of flow in m/s;
- Surface width of channel at the gaging site;
- Wetted perimeter (possible, but unlikely).