ECOSIM - Ecological and environmental monitoring and simulation system for
management decision support in urban areas
Work-programme (15 December 1994) task:
Task EN2.3 - Environmental Management Support Systems
A. Assessment of work done during the reporting period.
In its overall third year the project was back on track after
the withdrawal of the initial coordinator Smith as a consequence of
the red-flag procedure and in-depth review in December 1996
has led to the need to prepare a modified Technical Annex for
the project and reissue the contracts. This
resulted in unexpected delays in 1997, with a consequent extension
of the project by six months to December 1998.
The extension of the project's scope (as requested as part of
the in-depth review in December 1996: full integration of the two
water tasks: integration of the
POM Coastal Water Quality Model
and the groundwater modeling) for the Athens case study have
been completed as schedules, and were included in
the Athens validation study.
In particular, POM has been fully integrated
in the final Demonstrator Release (R1.0)
as an example of both a fully
interactive model and a potentially remote server
From a substantive point of view the project has made very good
progress along all the work packages, notably the development of the
demonstrator, the final integration of the component models and their
data, model testing and calibration, validation issues, and the user group.
Based on the technical guidelines
defined at the Athens meeting in April 1997, work on the integration
of the various models into the Demonstrator continued on schedule
leading to the final version of the Demonstrator used in the
validation studies at the three validation sites
Athens, Berlin, and Gdansk where the operational system was
implemented as planned.
As a consequence based on the results of the CEO's measurements on
network bandwidth and reliability
(see deliverable D04.02), and due to technical limitations
with network (Internet) access, the emphasis on the Demonstrator
implementation was on local area networks (LAN), in particular
in Berlin and Gdansk.
During the reporting period, work on the following Work Packages was in
- WP 01: Project Management:
- Continuing maintenance of the ECOSIM Project Web Server:
More than 50,000 full-page GET requests (on .html files only)
have been recorded during the period January to December 1998.
- maintenance of the ECOSIM mail group (firstname.lastname@example.org and
email@example.com) more than 2,000 messages exchanged between
the project partners have accumulated in the respective mail
folder to date.
- WP 02: Dissemination and User Group Activities:
- participation and demo at the Barcelona TAP Meeting
- participation in the TAP Concertation Meetings
- participation in the ENWAP Meetings (Szentendre, Brussels)
- participation and presentation at the IST'98 in Vienna
- preparation of user group mailing lists, design and production of a
- update of web server, installation of interactive User Group registration
form on the ECOSIM web server
implementation of a full-text search facility for the ECOSIM web pages
- WP 05: Building the Demonstrator
- implementation of the final
Demonstrator Release (R1.0 April 1998)
- implementation of fully integrated http client-server protocol
for the validation site implementations;
- configuration and implementation of the Demonstrator
system at the three validation sites in Athens, Berlin, and Gdansk.
- WP 06: Validation Berlin:
- configuration and implementation of the ECOSIM system
at the Stadtsenat by the GMD
- test of the system in operational context
- preparation of the Report on validation (Berlin)
- WP 07: Validation Athens:
- implementation of the ECOSIM system at the Ministry of the
Environment in Athens by the University of Thessaloniki with
assistance from the University and technical University of Athens
- test of the ECOSIM system in an operational context
- preparation of the Report on validation (Athens)
- WP 08: Validation Gdansk:
- completion of the data compilation for Gdansk
- configuration and implementation of the ECOSIM system
for the City of Gdansk through the Technical University of Gdansk
- test use of the system in an operational setting
- preparation of the Report on validation (Gdansk)
- WP 9: Exploitation Plan:
- identification of potential users (address data base)
- completion of the final Exploitation Plan
- WP 10: Evaluation:
- an updated version of the
(Deliverable D10.01) was presented in Brussels
- participation in the 4th Special Workshop on Evaluation/Validation
- completion of the Final Validation Plan (D10.01).
- completion of the Evaluation Report (D10.02) based on the
three site validation reports.
Project Manager: Dr. Kurt Fedra Signed
B. Current project status
|As of December 1998
(Project completion date)
||Comments, problems with deadlines
|Work packages on/before target
|| 1 - 10
| all work packages completed
|Work packages delayed
|| D10.2 under revision
|Deliverables submitted in reporting period
|| D05.01, D05.02, D06.01, D07.01, D08.01, D10.01, D10.2
| all Deliverables completed
(D10.2 under revision)
|Deliverables acknowledged by DG XIII
|Late deliverables - for reporting period
C. Work done
| Are project objectives being met?
Despite a difficult start and red flag procedure after the frist year,
change of project coordinator, consequent cash flow problems and
considerably delayed funding for the Polish partners, the project
was back on schedule and could be completed as planned by the end of 1998.
| Is work done within the project budget?
|| After the overall delay (and forced under-spending)
in the second half of 1997, also the project effort and expeditures
were back on schedule and according to plan in 1998
|Major achievements within reporting period
* completion of the final Demonstrator for the validation
* completion of data and model scenario preparations
for the validation sites Berlin, Athens, and Gdansk
* installation of the demonstrator at the three sites
* successful completion of the validation phase at all
three validation sites
* preparation of the Report on Validation (Athens, Berlin, Gdanks)
* preparation of the Exploitation Plan and start of
* completion of all project Deliverables.
|Details of expected end-products
ECOSIM (AirWare, CityWare)
a modular software framework and set of component
models for urban environmental management, targeted at city
Exploitation Plan, D09.01)
D. Outline proposed changes to plan
NO changes to plan in 1998.
E. Expectations for Implementation and/or Exploitation
A first complete version of the demonstrator was made available
for installation at the three validation sites in the beginning of 1998.
The final version of the Demonstrator is currently operational
at all three validation sites.
As basis for the exploitation efforts a number of databases
of potential users for ECOSIM have been compiled and merged
into an ECOSIM address database.
In addition the on-line registration at the
ECOSIM web server at ESS has provided additional contacts.
The results of the ECOSIM project are now being integrated in
the commercial product (AirWare,
distributed by ESS) to include both the models and offers for
related consultancy by the project partners.
F. Commission Services observations
(to be completed by the Project Officer)
Commission Project Officer ................................ Signed .......................... Date..............